Judicial Vehicle Mechanic’s Lien

Link Posted on Updated on

The vehicle mechanic’s lien process has changed in the State of Texas. The new process was implemented to prevent fraud but the process has actually made the process more complicated for small business owners.  The main problem is that if you fail to do all the mechanic lien steps correctly, in the right order within the time limits, then the only way you can foreclose on a vehicle and sell the vehicle to get paid is to file a lawsuit in the Justice of Peace court.

So to start such a lawsuit, you would have to  file a petition in the Justice of the Peace in the county where you reside or in which the vehicle is titled, and serve the petition on the vehicle owner and lien holder.


I have prepared a sample petition and order which may be used in filing your case with the JP Court for a Judicial Mechanic’s Lien.

Sworn Complaint

Final Judgment

Note: TexasLawToday believes this information to be accurate and reliable but we cannot promise it is always up-to-date and correct. TexasLawToday assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors in the information or for the use of the information provided. TexasLawToday is not providing this information as legal advice to address the circumstances of your case.  When in doubt about a specific case or requirement, you should consult with a lawyer.


2 thoughts on “Judicial Vehicle Mechanic’s Lien

    Martin said:
    October 23, 2017 at 7:59 pm

    Hi! I found your blog to be extremely helpful! I have a case here where the I’m the auto shop owner and had a vehicle dropped off 2 years ago for repair. After the vehicle was repaired promptly (in the following weeks), the owner has disappeared so we didn’t get payment and the car is left at my shop since then, with no attempt from owner to pick it up. We did not process the mechanics’ lien in time so we have now filed a suit in the Justice of Peace court to obtain a Judicial Foreclosure. However, the constable was unable to serve the defendant at the address and no forwarding address was available. (We believe the defendant has left the country a while ago.) What can we do now with respect to Foreclose the vehicle as it has been sitting in the shop taking up space/storage and we don’t know what we can do about it?

      patriciabcole responded:
      January 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm

      You should contact an attorney to help you obtain alternate service.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s